Bethanie, Western Australia’s most recognised not-for-profit aged care and retirement living provider was successful in qualifying for a ‘St John Heart Grant’, securing defibrillators which can be accessed for public use at their Retirement Village and Living Well Centre sites across the state.
Lotterywest in conjunction with St John WA, opened applications for the St John Heart Grant in February offering 1,000 defibrillators to not-for-profit community groups and sporting clubs, to be installed on the exterior of a building for public community use.
The offering included the defibrillator unit, a lock box and necessary first aid training, normally retailed at well in excess of $2,000. Bethanie also qualified for a grant to enable staff to attend first aid training, which qualifies them to operate the defibrillators in case of emergency.
Bethanie would like to acknowledge Beachside resident David Bird for alerting them to the St John Heart Grant and to Maryke Boshoff, Manager of Villages North for successfully securing the grant and the defibrillators on behalf of Bethanie.
Maryke Boshoff, Manager of Villages North successfully secured the grant and says, “How wonderful that we can offer this sense of security to the public and possibly be of aid in saving someone’s life in an emergency, whether that is a resident or a member of the community.”
Sudden cardiac arrest is one of the leading causes of death in Australia. According to St John WA, key elements in surviving cardiac arrest are timely, quality CPR and defibrillation.
The defibrillators have now been installed in locations on site where members of the public can access after calling 000 to obtain the access codes.
Bethanie Retirement Village and Living Well Centre sites with public use defibrillators:
- Bethanie on the Park Retirement Village
- Bethanie Beachside Retirement Village
- Bethanie Gwelup Retirement Village
- Bethanie Geneff Retirement Village
- Bethanie Esprit Retirement Village
- Bethanie Fields Retirement Village
- Bethanie Joondanna Retirement Village
- Bethanie Illawong Retirement Village
- Bethanie Elanora Retirement Village
- Bethanie Warwick Retirement Village
- Bethanie South Perth Living Well Centre
- Bethanie Kwinana Living Well Centre
- Bethanie Port Kennedy Living Well Centre
Find out more about Bethanie.