Private Aged Care Providers

Private providers in the aged care sector are providers of residential aged care or home care that do not receive subsidies from the Australian Government. This means that you are required to pay the full costs of these services. You do not need an ACAT/ACAS assessment to access private aged care services.

You may be required to access the services of a private provider if:

You can search for private providers of aged care services using our comprehensive online directory. To get started select your state below:

Private providers of residential care:

Private providers of home care:

Private providers of aged care in Australia can offer a full range of services to you or your loved one, whatever your care needs may be.

If you require help around the home, private providers of home care can offer services including gardening, transport, cleaning, meal preparation, nursing services and therapy services. You will need to pay the full cost of these services to your chosen private provider.

If you or your loved one requires a higher level of care, privately owned aged care homes may be a suitable option. These aged care homes provide care and accommodation, just like government-subsidised homes do, but are not regulated by the Australian Government. You will also be required to pay the full amount for accommodation, care and any additional or extra services.

Private providers in residential aged care are often referred to as a Supported Residential Service (SRS) or a Supported Residential Facility (SRF). Victoria is the only state to use the term SRS – in all other states they are SRF.

Private providers of aged care services set their own fees and charges and often require residents or clients to pay these fees weekly.

Private providers are required to provide an environment that protects the safety and wellbeing of residents, safely administers medication, provides well-balanced meals and offers a comfortable home-like space.

Services offered by a private aged care provider can include:

Private aged care services can be offered in your own home or in an aged care/retirement residence.