Aged Care Online

Find an aged care home for you!
Call My Care Path on 1300 197 230

Aged Care Homes/Nursing Homes in Perth and Western Australia

Residential aged care in Western Australia can be searched for using our online directory. If you are in the metropolitan area you can search for aged care facilities and nursing homes in Perth as well.

Where do I start?

To help you understand the aged care system, use our comprehensive Understanding Aged Care Guide which covers everything you need to know about aged care, from acommodation to finance to finding the right provider. 

Once you have found some nursing homes in Western Australia that interest you, you will need to have the person who is looking to move into aged care assessed. An assessment refers to the Aged Care Assessment Service (ACAS/ACAT) and are funded by the Government, so you won’t have to pay anything. The assessment is designed to decide how much care the elderly person will need, whether they require continuous nursing care or are able to be more independent.

When moving into a home there can be a process of 2-3 months or even longer, before the elderly person will be settled into a new home. You can read more about vacancies in residential aged care homes and how long you can be expected to wait before gaining a place in a home.

Finding a Place to call Home

Finding a nursing home is similar to finding a home to rent or buy.

When finding a home to rent or buy you would not expect to find something suitable within a few weeks, the same applies to finding residential aged care in Western Australia. It is important to visit as many homes as possible and decide upon the areas you feel would be suitable. The home as well as the neighbourhood and other near-by amenities (i.e. public transport, shopping strips, close to family/friends et cetera) as well as the home’s culture will need to be considered before moving in.

What type of care is provided?

The type of services provided at residential aged care will vary depending on the type of care (low or high level) and if the home is an extra service home. If the resident is in low level care then generally accommodation and personal care is provided. Personal care refers to help with things such as occasional nursing or dressing and showering.

There are some services which must be provided at no additional costs, regardless of whether the resident is a low level or high level patient.

  • Basic accommodation (i.e. beds, mattresses, linen, chairs et cetera)
  • Social activities
  • Cleaning services & Laundry
  • Emergency assistance and on-call staff
  • Grounds & building maintenance
  • Communication & Mobility assistance
  • Meals (special diets included)
  • Personal care (i.e. help with going to the toilet, bathing, dressing and eating)

If the resident is a high level care resident, then the following services must be included (in addition to the basic services listed above)

High level care homes provide services for those who need continuous nursing care.

  • Wheelchairs
  • Air/water mattresses
  • Continence aids
  • Sheepskins
  • Dressings and basic medications
  • Therapy services (e.g. physiotherapy/speech therapy)
  • Registered nurses trained to assess, plan and manage care
  • Oxygen equipment & oxygen

Search for Residential aged care in Western Australia

Do you need help finding aged care services in Western Australia?

My Care Path can provide you with a complete end to end consultancy service to assist you in navigating the complexities of aged care. Our consultants are ready to help - call today for a friendly, no-obligation chat! 

Call 1300 197 230

Article posted:Jun 24, 2019
Category: Residential Aged Care


Need help finding an aged care provider? Call: 1300 755 702